June 6, 2010

Kieren Sews: Her First Skirt from Scratch

My sewing adventure began with a sewing pattern.  It was $0.30 at a thrift shop.  I thought it would be too small, but I was determined to gain some skills, regardless.

Cutting out the pattern pieces was an adventure... an adventure that I re-did about six times. 
Eek.

Putting in the zipper was another fun quest.  Eventually, I gave up on using my machine and I hand-picked it instead.  Apparently, hand-picking a zipper is vintage-esque and "pretty".  Well, that's great... but I did it because I had no other choice.

The material I chose was too light, so I decided to add my own liner, which was not included in the pattern!  Somehow, I figured out how to do it and it turned out perfect (minus the side seams which are inside-out... whatever).


As you can see, the skirt turned out really well and it fit!  I am so proud of myself.  This "2 Hour" skirt took me approximately 200 hours, but it was totally worth it.  I feel like I've learned a lot and am ready to take on another pattern!

P.S.  If you actually see me in the skirt, I will look a lot hotter than these terrible pictures.  Just don't look to closely at the details!

No comments:

Post a Comment