April 27, 2012

Floor Bed Feature on Bedstart.com


I am excited to announce that Clara's bedroom was featured on bedstart.com, a new website dedicated to floor beds!

I know a floor bed may seem crazy compared to the traditional crib, or even co-sleeping, but it has been a great solution for our family.  Any of you that happen to be my Facebook friends know that I spent the first four months of motherhood in a perpetual state of sleep deprivation.  We tried the crib (in and out of our bedroom) and co-sleeping, but nothing was helping us get to sleep.  At the peak of our sleep troubles, Clara was waking up at least 8 times a night.  (Her record was 15!)

Finally, this mommy broke down and made her dreams a reality.

During late night feedings, I had designed a sleep space that allowed me to cuddle with my baby, nurse with ease, avoid sitting up in a chair in the middle of the night, and sneak away without moving/waking Clara.  Added benefits would be that she could get in and out of the bed on her own when she was older.

A few hours on Google later and I discovered that floor beds are a Montessori thing.  It was a relief to know that I wasn't completely crazy!

Thus, the birth of a new sleeping arrangement.
(The room is a work in progress, but the bed is a keeper!)

Anyway, hop on over to Clara's page and check out her bed!  

And if you happen to be a floor bed momma, too, make sure you enter the Website Launch Contest!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is SO adorable and a GREAT idea!!! My son, Freddie, was sleeping great with co-sleeping and then he got bigger. So we had him in a pack and play (we don't have a crib yet), and he was doing great at sleeping in there, waking to eat, and going right back to sleep. Then he began to teeth and we're back to co-sleeping because I get MORE sleep than when I try to put him back in his bed. Now he's starting to wake and cry 4,5,6 times a night, leaving him and me exhausted in the morning. I'm not yet to the point of going crazy, but I don't want to get there. He's now 7 months and I'm going to try this!!!! How old was Clara when she fir started sleeping in the floor bed? And how old is she now? So it really works? Looks so cute too!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved her to the floor bed at 4 months. She is now 8 months old. She has started crawling and it hasn't been a problem, even though she knows she can open the door (it's always ajar).im not sure if it will always work, but for now it's great!!

      As for cosleeping, I really wanted it to work for me, but I seriously wanted to die. The cuddling was fantastic, but she wanted to nurse alllllll night long. Literally 10-15 times a night she would wake up and cry for the boob. It was killer. Now we're down to 1-2 wakings per night.

      Delete
  2. I've thought about doing a floor bed when we transition Evelyn out of her crib into a toddler bed. Now that she can open doors, I'm wanting her to stay in her crib a bit longer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so afraid of the day when she can open the bedroom door! I might find myself setting up the crib again. Yikes!

      Delete
  3. Is it possible to use a crib mattress instead of a regular mattress as a floor bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read of some floor bed parents using crib mattresses. After all, it isn't much different from a regular mattress, minus the size. My only worries would be that 1) I wouldn't be able to cuddle or nurse lying down as easily, 2) there is less space for the baby to roll around, so they might end up on the rug/floor more easily or often and 3) if the crib mattress is too small/light, it might move away from the wall, which could be potentially dangerous.

      The twin mattress we are currently using is actually on loan from one of my sister in laws. I have already contemplated the alternatives for when she asks for the mattress to be returned (they have been waiting to close on a house). I would like to invest in one of the Ikea floor mattresses, but unti that time, I will probably throw do the crib mattress, which is currently being stored in the basement, as long as it appears to be safe and my baby will sleep on it.

      Delete