October 16, 2017

Meeting Thomas Treat

We have another son!  His name is Thomas Treat and he is perfect.  This is his story.

On Thursday, June 29, my mom offered to take my kids overnight.  Usually, I turned down these offers, but I thought the alone time would be good for rest, personal time, and one last date with Anson, as my due date was the very next day.  I spent the hours cleaning, hanging curtains, and relaxing.  Unfortunately, my anxiety about birth began to pick up, even plaguing me during my movie date with Anson.

I slept in on Friday, but woke up very nervous and emotional.  I tried to keep busy, but nothing was distracting enough.  Then, out of nowhere, I was prompted to go to the temple.  I ran the last of my errands and followed that little nudge.  During my time in the temple, I had a good, long cry and a spiritual experience that wiped away all of my worry and doubt.

The rest of my day was spent washing baby clothes, packing my birth bag, and installing the car seat.  (Yes, I procrastinated until my due date!)  By the time my parents dropped off the kids, I was feeling much more calm and prepared.  Anson tried to get me to go out to eat with my parents, but I had a strong need to be home, in my safe place.

I woke up Saturday morning to find a small amount of mucus and bloody show.  Historically, this sign meant that I would go into labor within 24 hours, so I alerted my mom and started to wonder when things would happen.  I decided to grab some donuts for the family, but was surprised when I only managed to eat one - my appetite had disappeared!

Clara and I grabbed smoothies and met up with my friend, Jenna, for pedicures.  We had fun and Jenna kept my mind occupied with non-birth topics for a few hours.  Back at home, I wondered what to do with myself.  I was still having bloody show, but not a single contraction and no nausea.  I decided to take a nap.

Around 4:00 pm, I woke up and moved to the couch, to lay by Anson and watch a movie.  I thought I felt a contraction, but it didn't hurt at all.  Plus, I had never gone into labor during the daytime before.  I tried to check myself a few times, but everything felt different.  Either I wasn't dilated at all OR I was dilated a few centimeters, but my cervix was still tipped back.  What did it mean?

Anson picked up a pizza and I only managed two bites.  I was still laying on the couch, wondering about the potential contractions I was having.  They still didn't hurt, they were 6+ minutes apart, and I had never been able to lay down during labor before.  What was going on?

The kids joined us on the couch and we put on Moana.  I was still feeling totally normal, but Anson insisted on having my parents drive to our house.  Soon after they arrived, around 9:30 pm, I started walking through contractions, mostly trying to test if they hurt and if they would get closer together.  I felt a small amount of pain, but was still able to talk normally during the waves.

I called the midwife, Maribeth, and she suggested I come in, as my main worry about birth had been arriving too late in the process.  I told her I'd think about it and call her back.  After another half hour, contractions were slightly closer together, about 4.5 minutes, but still mild.  I decided we'd go to the birth center, just to get checked, as I was really confused about what was going on.  Anson took a shower, I changed my clothes, and my dad and Anson gave me a blessing.  The kids were in bed, but not asleep, so we said goodnight and left them with Mimi.

The drive over wasn't painful like it had been in the past.  We arrived to the birth center around 10:30 pm and I was happy to see Maribeth was already inside, waiting for me.  Mom and Dad pulled in right behind us.  It was strange being there and being of sound mind, so unlike the other times.  Maribeth checked my vitals and listened to the baby.  She wasn't going to check my progress, but I insisted.  I was 8-9 cms!!!  That totally shocked me, because I didn't feel transition (shakes, sweating) like I did with my others. After that, I thought, "What do I do now?!" Apparently, even though I was almost complete, the baby was "floating" and my cervix wasn't fully pointing down, so Maribeth suggested I try different positions to encourage baby to engage.



Anson and I were left alone in the room. He put on music and I was taking contractions in silly positions. It was actually fun! Maribeth suggested that Anson and I lift my belly during a few contractions and that really helped/hurt. This was finally the point where contractions got painful and uncomfortable. I decided to get in the tub, which felt great, but was also scary, as I knew the hard work would be happening there. I think I got in around 11:45 pm. Anson, Maribeth, and Jenna (my friend and nurse) were all wondering if the baby would be born July 1st or 2nd. I had guessed for the past few weeks that it would be July 2nd (making bang 2 days late, as my others had been 4, 1, and 3 days late).

Everyone left the room again, except Anson and I, so I started doing purposeful, grunty pushes to get baby to drop. At first, the baby was high, but with each contraction the baby moved lower. Eventually, I could even feel the water start to bulge, which was super exciting! I knew once it broke, it would only be minutes until birth.



Only 1-2 contractions later and my water began to bulge out of my body.  I ran my finger over it and felt it pop.  I told Anson to get the midwife!  Maribeth and Jenna quickly came into the room and Jenna listened to the baby.  My mom came in, too.  Maribeth asked if I felt baby boy or baby girl hair, and it was at that moment that I realized that the head was almost crowning!  At that point, I tried my best to keep the baby from moving back.  One or two more contractions and I felt the head start to crown!

I wanted to hold back and take things slow, but as I knelt there, trying to decide, the pressure and stretching became too intense to pull back from.  It felt like I was about to rip in half, but only a few seconds later, the baby's head was born.  Maribeth was very relaxed and told me it was fine to wait for the next contraction.  I kept my hands on the baby's head to keep it still.  I could feel the baby's eyelids and was even able to look down and see the head through the clear water.  Crazy!

A contraction started, but the shoulders gave resistance.  Maribeth helped me point the head down and after one painful moment, the baby was born!  (12:15 am)  I lifted the baby to my chest and sat back.  He screeched the loudest shriek I've ever heard!  I saw and announced that it was a boy, which totally shocked me! I felt so happy and in such great spirits.  I put my legs up on the side of the tub and asked someone to bring my dad into the room.  He looked pretty impressed!  I love those first few moments after birth.



It was time for the placenta, so Dad left the room.  All of my past midwives made me get out of the tub to deliver the placenta, by Maribeth let my choose.  I didn't really care and apparently it was almost there anyway, so out it came.  The clear water slowly turned pink while my placenta, still attached to my baby boy, floated nearby.  It was kind of weird, but also amazing!



I eventually made my way to the bed, baby and I were checked, and the evil afterpains began. Thomas weighed 7 lbs 11.5 oz and was 19.5" long. He nursed for the first time while I ate four of the best tasting freezer waffles ever! Then, before we took a nap, we FaceTimed Anson's parents in Japan.  Of course, I was too excited to sleep (like every other birth!), so I stared at my baby as my heart bursted with gratitude for such an amazing experience and a perfect baby.



It's 3 months later and I still can't believe what a wonderful birth I was given. We are so blessed!

Clara's Birth Story
Steven's Birth Story
Robert's Birth Story

No comments:

Post a Comment